Colonel Adam B. Willis is the commander of the 445th Airlift Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this role he serves as the senior air reserve technician responsible for the training and readiness of more than 1,800 wing personnel assigned to 19 units with an inventory of nine C-17 Globemaster III aircraft.
Colonel Willis began his Air Force career in 1988 after receiving his commission through the Northern Arizona University's Reserve Officer Train Corps program. He has spent his career leading Airmen in the aviation career field as an instructor pilot, aircraft commander, standardization chief, director of operations and group commander. Most recently, he was the commander of the 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Colonel Willis has flown more than 200 combat and combat support missions in support of Operations DESERT STORM, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and Kosovo.
1988 Bachelor of Arts degree in Liberal Studies, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Ariz.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Advance Instrument Course, Randolph, Texas
2007 Air War College (correspondence) Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Force Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2013 Joint Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2013 Masters of Arts degree in National Security, American Military University, W.V.
2014 Director of Mobility Forces Course (DM4), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Course, University of North Carolina
1. August 1990 – February 1993, C-141 pilot, 53rd Airlift Squadron, Norton AFB, Calif.
2. March 1993 – November 1995, T-37 Instructor Pilot, 35th Flight Training Squadron, Reese AFB,
3. December 1995 – July 1996, Flight Commander, 64th Operations Group, Reese AFB, Texas
4. September 1996 – October 1999, C-141 Aircraft Commander, 16th Airlift Squadron, 437th Operations
Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. March 2000 – July 2005, C-141C Instructor Pilot, 729th Airlift Squadron, 452nd Air Mobility Wing,
March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
6. August 2005 – July 2007, C-17 EP, Chief Standardization/Evaluation, 452nd Operations Group, March
7. July 2007 – August 2010, Director of Operations, 301st Airlift Squadron, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
8. August 2010 – September 2011, Deputy Group Commander, 349th Operations Group, 349th AMW,
Travis AFB, Calif.
9. September 2010 – February 2011, J3 - European Command Plans and Operations Center, Chief, Stuttgart, Germany
10. September 2011 – 23 Feb 2014, Operations Group Commander, 433rd OG, 433rd AW, Lackland
11. Feb 2014 – May 2016, Wing Commander, 908 AW, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (23 June 2015 – 5 November
2015,U. S. Air Forces Central Command Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Deputy Director of Mobility Forces, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia.)
12. May 2016 - Present, Commander, 445th Airlift Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Rating: Command pilot, instructor
Flight hours: More than 5,600
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, T-1, C-141B, C-141C, C-17A, C-5A/B, C-130H2
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with three devices
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service Award with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one ‘M’ devices
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant November 1988
First Lieutenant November 1990
Captain November 1992
Major October 2000
Lieutenant Colonel August 2006
Colonel February 2013
(Current as of May 2016)