Colonel John Robinson is the commander of the 445th Operations Group, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He commands approximately 350 personnel assigned to the 89th Airlift Squadron, 445th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron and the 445th Operations Support Squadron. The 445th OG provides heavy combat airlift and aeromedical evacuation capabilities to combatant commanders around the globe.
Colonel Robinson is a graduate of Clemson University and commissioned through AFROTC. With 25 years of service, he was a member of the 17th AS, the first squadron of C-17s as the C-17 program was initially beginning. He has accumulated more than 6,500 hours in the C-17 and is an NVG Airdrop Evaluator. He has participated in many operations over the years including operations Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, presidential support missions and Humanitarian relief missions. As the Chief of Tactics, he participated in 2007 Airlift Rodeo. His team won best C-17 Airdrop Crew and Best Air Refueling Team. The relationship he developed with airborne users led to an invitation to attend the Army Basic Airborne course in Ft. Benning, Ga. at age 51. He completed the course with five, T-11 parachute jumps.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Horticulture Clemson University, S.C.
1992 UPT Class 92-13 Reese AFB, Texas
1992 C-130 Maintenance Officers Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
1993 F-16 Maintenance Officers Course, Moody AFB, Ga.
1995 Squadron Officers Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Masters Aerospace Science Technology, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
1995 C-17A Initial Qualification Altus AFB, Okla.
1996 C-17A Co-pilot Airdrop School, Altus AFB, Okla.
2003 Air Command and Staff College
2016 Air War College
1. August 1991 – September 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training Reese AFB, Texas
2. September 1992 – July 1993, C-130 Maintenance Officer 40th Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. July 1993 – July 1995, F-16 Maintenance Officer, 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. July 1995 – October 1997, C-17 Pilot and Flight Manual Control Officer, 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. Oct 1997 – May 1999, Wing Tactics Officer, 437 OSS, Charleston AFB, S.C.
6. May 1999 – August 2000, Squadron Safety Officer, 15th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
7. August 2000 – March 2006, C-17 Instructor Pilot/Squadron Scheduler, 701st Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. March 2006 – November 2015, Chief of Tactics, 315th OSS, Charleston AFB, S.C.
9. November 2015 – October 2016, Deputy Operations Group Commander, 315th Operations Group, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
10. October 2016 – October 2017, Operations Group Commander, 315th Operations Group, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
11. October 2017-present, Commander, 445th Operations Group, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 6,500+
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, T-1, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 device
Air Force Commendation Medal with 1 device
Air Force Achievement Medal with 1 Device
AF Outstanding Unit Award with 5 Devices
Combat Readiness Service Medal with 8 devices
National Defense Service Medal with 1 device
Armed Forces Expeditionary medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with 1 Device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with 1 device
Air Force Longevity Service with 2 Devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 “M” Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant June 21, 1991
First Lieutenant June 21, 1993
Captain June 21, 1995
Major May 6, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel August 2, 2007
Colonel January 30, 2018
(Current as of February 2018)