Air Force Reserve seeking military training instructors
By Tech. Sgt. Bryan Hull, 446th Airlift Wing Public Affairs
/ Published October 18, 2017
JOINt BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. --
Molding tomorrow’s leaders, while instilling the Air Force core values, is the cornerstone at basic military training. Military Training Instructors, also known as MTIs, take on this challenge by spending weeks transforming civilians into a fighting force.
Reserve Citizen Airmen can take up this challenge at the 433rd Training Squadron at Joint Base San Antonio, where they are currently hiring traditional reservists to fill open MTI positions.
The mission of the 433rd TRS is to recruit, train and maintain a team of MTIs who work side-by-side with their active duty counterparts. Directly supporting the 737th Training Group and seven basic training squadrons, annually they prepare approximately 37,000 enlisted trainees for military service.
Master Sgt. Carlos Recoder, 433rd TRS MTI recruiting noncommissioned officer in charge, briefed about MTI opportunities during the Rainier Wing commander’s call Oct. 15. He also visited with the 446th Airlift Wing’s development and training flight to give them advice about what to expect during BMT.
“It’s a challenging but rewarding job,” he said. “Every day you’re adapting. It really is going to be what you make of it.”
Applicants interested in becoming an MTI must meet the following job qualifications:
- Be a staff sergeant promotable to technical sergeant with two years’ time in grade, or a technical sergeant or master sergeant with at least four years from his or her high year tenure.
- Have a skill level commensurate with his or her pay grade
- Have 42 months of retainability as of their report no later than date
- Meet the minimum physical profile
- Project an outstanding professional military image
- Have excellent records with overall ratings of 5 or exceeds some, but not all expectations/exceeds most, if not all expectations (New Form) on the last three enlisted performance reports. Applicants must submit their last three EPRs or a Letter of Evaluation (Air Force Form 77) from supervisors in lieu of EPRs.
- Have no record of disciplinary action or financial irresponsibility in their Air Force career
- Have a current physical training composite score 80 or better in the past 12 months and no PT failures in the past 12 months
Reserve candidates selected for MTI duty will attend a seven-and-a-half week course of initial training with 90 days after graduation to complete the training qualifications and certification before they begin to lead their own flights of trainees.
Rainier Wing Airmen interested in applying for MTI duty should request an application from the 433rd TRS recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-671-2410.