Col. Edward W. Hale is the Commander of the 445th Maintenance Group, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the senior maintenance officer, he is responsible for the training and readiness of more than 400 assigned personnel tasked with maintaining nine C-17A Globemaster III aircraft valued at $1.7 billion.
Col. Hale is an aircraft maintenance officer with operational experience on C-5, KC-10, F- 15, KC-135, E-3, HH-60, C-130H/J and C-17 aircraft. Additionally, he is an Acquisition Program Manager with experience supporting MC-12W, RC-135, EC-130H, T-38, and multiple classified programs. Col. Hale more than 200 flying hours as a flight test engineer on multiple aircraft. He served in a variety of positions at the squadron, group, program office, and Air Staff level. He deployed in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the Deputy Commander, 62nd Maintenance Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington.
2000 Bachelor of Business Administration in Management, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth
2000 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Masters of Arts in Diplomacy, Emphasis in Terrorism, Norwich University, Vermont
2009 U.S .Marine Corps Command and Staff Course, by correspondence
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2022 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University
2023 Joint and Combined Warfighting School-Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College
1. May 2000 - September 2000, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. September 2000 - October 2001, Sortie Support Flight Commander, 60th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. October 2001 - October 2002, Assistant Maintenance Flight Commander, Accessories Flight Commander, 60th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. October 2002 - September 2003, Maintenance Control Officer, 60th Maintenance Operations Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. September 2003 - May 2005, Fighter Engine Program Manager, Executive Officer, Propulsion Systems Squadron, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. May 2005 - January 2007, Special Projects Program Manager, 644th Aeronautical Systems Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. January 2007 - August 2010, Special Systems Acquisition & Maintenance Flight Commander, Deputy Division Chief of Special Programs, 645th Aeronautical Systems Squadron, Greenville, Texas
8. August 2010 - April 2013, Program Element Monitor & BIG SAFARI Branch Chief, Information Dominance Directorate, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Acquisition), Pentagon, Arlington. Va.
9. April 2013 - August 2014, Maintenance Ops Officer, 18th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
10. August 2014 - June 2015, Maintenance Ops Officer, 718th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
11. June 2015 - July 2018, Commander, 374th Maintenance Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
12. July 2018 - May 2021, Deputy Commander, 62d Maintenance Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
13. May 2021 - Present, Commander, 445th Maintenance Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant May 31, 2001
Captain May 31, 2004
Major January 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2015
Colonel October 1, 2022
(Current as of August 2023)