JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas --
COVID Coach is a free, easy-to-use mobile application created for everyone, especially veterans and service members, to support self-care and overall mental health during the coronavirus, or COVID-19, pandemic.
The app was developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs this year and connects users to resources to help cope with stress, stay healthy, stay connected, and navigate parenting, caregiving, and working at home while social distancing or sheltering in place.
How to Use COVID Coach
The app can be used as a stand-alone education and self-care tool, or as a supplement to professional mental health care.
● You can mark your favorite coping tools and track your mental health over time.
● Set reminders to visit the app each day and work toward your goals.
● The app can also help you create your own personal support network.
Learn about coping during the pandemic
COVID Coach can support you with information to help you stay balanced, connected, safe, and healthy.
● Learn about healthy behaviors to protect yourself during the pandemic.
● Find tips to help you with remote working, parenting, and caregiving.
● Explore indoor activities to do on your own, with a partner, or with children.
Manage self-care and well-being
Find tools to help you manage stress during the pandemic. You can also mark the activities that are your favorites and create your own tools.
● Practice relaxation and other stress-management exercises.
● Track your mood, anxiety level, well-being, and stress symptoms over time to recognize patterns and figure out what works for you.
● Create your own personal support network.
Set personal goals and track growth
● Creating a goal for yourself -- something you can do on a daily basis to help you take care of yourself -- and tracking your growth is a helpful way to focus on the positive.
● Set personal goals, small things to help yourself, a family member, or a friend.
● View graphs that show your growth over time.
Privacy and Security
Any data created by the user of this app are only as secure as the phone or device itself. Use the security features on your device if you are concerned about the privacy of your information. Users are free to share data; as the self-monitoring data belong to each user, HIPAA concerns do not apply while the data are stored or shared. If the user were to transmit or share data with a health care provider, the provider must then comply with the HIPAA rules.
NOTE: COVID Coach is not intended to replace needed professional care related to COVID-19 or mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.