Stop loss Airmen eligible for compensation

  • Published
  • By Tech. Sgt. Stacy Simon
  • ARPC Public Affairs
Current and former Reservists and Guardsmen who were involuntarily extended on active duty beyond an approved separation or retirement date as a result of Stop Loss may be eligible for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay compensation.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriation Act set aside $534.4 million to compensate Airmen and members of the Reserve components serving on active duty who were adversely affected by stop loss between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009. The Air Force used stop loss during Operation Enduring Freedom in 2001-2002 and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.

Eligible members will receive $500 per month for each month or portion of month they were retained past an established separation or retirement date and served on active duty as a result of stop loss. Members of the Reserve components must have served on active duty during stop loss.

"Most point- or pay-gaining activities qualify for active-duty time, including annual training and Reserve training tours," according to Steve Hannan, Director of Personnel Program Management, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center.

Approximately 3,400 Reserve component Airmen may have been affected by stop loss. Those affected may include members who may no longer be a part of the formal Air Force family.

"We will do everything we can to ensure every eligible servicemember receives this entitlement," said Hannan. "That includes spreading the word to veteran's groups and the many informal military communities."

The payment is also payable to legally designated beneficiaries of deceased or incapacitated Airmen.

Individuals have until Oct. 21, 2010, to file their claim. ARPC officials will evaluate claims based upon historical records as well as any supporting documentation submitted by the applicant.

If ARPC rejects a claim by an Airman or qualifying family member, the application will be returned along with a letter detailing appellate procedures, added Mr. Hannan.

Those serving in the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard when stop lossed, or their legally designated beneficiaries, may download and submit a stop loss claim application from the Air Reserve Personnel Center's virtual Personnel Center - Guard and Reserve Web site at, or call the Total Force Service Center at (800) 525-0102 for assistance.