Fleece wear policy released
By Brad Jessmer , Air Force Uniform Office Public Affairs
/ Published October 13, 2009
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- The 98th Air Force Virtual Uniform Board has just released a policy message for wearing the new Air Force sage green fleece as an outer garment for the Airmen Battle Uniform.
According to the message, the sage green fleece may only be worn over the ABU top, and is not authorized to be worn solely over a T-shirt, thermal underwear and similar undergarments, when worn as an outer garment.
According to the message signed by Lt. Gen. Richard Newton III, deputy chief of staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, authorized wear of the sage green fleece requires the following:
- A Velcro ABU print last name tape with dark blue block lettering, centered between the zipper and sleeve seam on the wearer's right chest
- A Velcro ABU print U.S. Air Force tape with dark blue block lettering, adjacent to the name tape and centered between the zipper and sleeve seem on the wearers left chest
- A Velcro subdued cloth rank with a solid sage green background, flushed and centered above the last name tape on the wearer's right chest.
- Fleece must remain zipped no lower than halfway between the name tape and the collar
- The collar must be folded over and resting on the shoulder, chest and back when the zipper is not completely zipped
- The bottom length of the fleece must be as close to length of ABU top as possible
- Sleeves must be worn down at all times
- Fleece must be kept in a neat, serviceable and professional appearance at all times
Items authorized for wear with the fleece include black or sage green leather, suede or knit gloves; black or sage green watch caps; black scarves that are tucked in; and black ear muffs.
The uniform board has authorized wear of the sage green fleece without name tapes and rank as an outer garment until Oct 1, 2010. Both the black and the green fleece without tapes and rank may be worn as a liner to the APECS. The black fleece will phase-out Oct 1, 2010.
New sage green fleece outer garments will be made available first to deployed airmen.
Airmen with questions regarding this article should address them through their chain of command, or by calling the Air Force Personnel Center at 800-525-0102, or DSN 665-5000.